Thursday, February 11, 2010

Buongiorno ragazzi

Solo guardare, ma non comprare. My language exchange partner, Rita, taught me this little line that is not only fun to say, but applicable to every moment of my life here in Italy. It translates to "Only looking, but not buying." It is so nice to have a regular income with my job so I can see and do things I would otherwise have been too poor to afford, but it is still a tricky business just getting to class and not poking my head into one of the dozens of bookstores and binderies here in Florence. Two days ago I bought a dual language edition of Pinocchio (written by a Florentine) that was published in Florence and is illustrated by children. It is the most beautiful book I have ever bought, and that includes the hundreds of dollars I spent on leather-bound vanity books, which, let's be honest, I am too scared to open. And then yesterday I bought an Italian book of idioms and expressions. It's more of a workbook really, but I have had a crossword itch for months now and this is a nice way to cure it. But I am saving money, Mom!
So, back to Rita: She invited me to dinner with her family this Friday and a night out in Pisa at some classy disco club. I don't know how classy disco clubs are in Italy. In Germany, the one I went to was clean and people gave you your space, but for some reason, I don't think that will happen here. I think the Italian man stereotype, for the most part, is true. Per esempio, when passing Italian men (of all ages) on the street, if you express any sort of interest, such as a smile or what would be considered a felicitous greeting in America, you will most likely have a tag-along for the next few minutes, saying things like "Ciao bella," "You have beautiful eyes," or "Sei Americana?" But, I have learned to just look determined/pissed at the world while I am walking and they leave me be. My roommate Jennifer, a thin blonde, has a tough time, but she'll figure it out. She's a smart girl.
I think after class, if I don't have to pick Nerina up from school, I will go see a film at the Odeon. It has been a while since I have been to the cinema (I am still bummed about missing the Middle Eastern film festival) and An Education is playing. It looks decent. A young woman wants to go to Yale (or maybe Harvard) and falls in love with an older man...we'll see. If not, Nerina and I will have fun with her 3-D puzzle she got for Carnivale and I will teach her Dean Martin's "That's Amore," because she has apparently never heard it. Oh, and Nerina's recital is on Saturday. I am really looking forward to it. I am even skipping out on the ISA trip to Sienna, which everyone says is a big mistake. Yes, I have already payed for it, and yes Sienna is supposed to be gorgeous, but I want to see my little Nerina dressed like a duck and singing in Italian with the rest of her second grade class!! To prove a point, I am going to Sienna by myself on Sunday. Happy San Valentino's day to me. I'm off to Italian class now. Buonagiornata e a presto.

No comments:

Post a Comment