Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Roundabout the Gulf of Naples

For a ridiculously reasonable price I booked a trip to Napoli, Sorrento, Capri, and Pompeii through my school. It included a roundtrip private bus ride, two nights in a 3-star hotel, buffet breakfast, two dinners, a ferry ride to Capri, a guided tour of Napoli, entrance ticket and tour of Pompeii, and insurance. Can anyone guess how much?
Aside from the pizza, I was not at all impressed with Napoli. I know I am not giving it a fair chance. My friend Lucy was there at the same time with her program and she fell in love with the small streets, local charm, and renowned museums. I saw none of this. Our tour was rushed, it was raining, cold, and we only saw a few churches and piazzas in between the filth and the same political posters plastered in succession and surrounded by half naked women advertising underwear. Not at all like Dean’s “That’s Amore” made it out to be. But I am willing to go back…with a bodyguard.
I did not get to see much of Sorrento aside from the streets between our hotel and the ristorante we dined in both nights. Sorrento is known for its inlaid wood craftwork and softball sized lemons. Though I was tempted, I did not purchase either. I don’t need a music box and I don’t like limoncello.
We spent the entire day in Capri, once a haven for poets and intellectuals, now a tourist trap for people like…well me. This time of the year, however, it is not that crowded. Our tour leader Francesca (she was our guide in Perugia when I went to the chocolate festival) took us to her favorite beach, which turned out to be a steep rock pile overlooking the town, bordered by the clearest and most blue water I have ever seen. The whole day was surreal. I spent the next six hours walking around the town, exploring villas, and eating. Our waiter was very charming (the two girls and I were the only people in the restaurant); he smooth talked us into buying a seafood aperitif and the house special. The price was not right, but the food made up for it. I still don’t know what types of fish I ate, and maybe I don’t want to know. The waiter insisted he join us on the rest of our tour, and though he was good at his job, I did not want him following us around all day. Besides, the man must have been at least 35, and it is always a little troubling when a man shows so much interest in women he knows will not be sticking around for long. We hid in a cafĂ©` until we were sure the coast was clear. I watched the sun set from the back of the ferry boat on the ride back to Sorrento.
What can I say about Pompeii? Wow! I must go back. The tour was over two hours long, but we only saw a portion of the archeological area. I learned a lot on this tour; I was at full attention for once. Pompeii is also another reason I should go back to Napoli, because most of the precious artifacts (and bodies) have been relocated to a museum there.
It’s snowing in Florence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD42gaumE3M
I can finally sing this song.













No comments:

Post a Comment