Monday, April 5, 2010

Pasqua

Umbria was even more beautiful than it was on my last visit. The grass was a vibrant green, and the rosemary and other assorted shrubbery were in bloom.
Except for Easter day, the weather was perfect. We arrived Thursday afternoon and after unpacking, Nerina and I flew her new kite for a while. This was a very difficult endeavor as the wind was sporadic, borderline nonexistent. We did get some good air for a few minutes—enough to make Nerina happy. Her father, Andrea, arrived shortly after us and he helped us out a bit. For instance, he explained to us that the kite should be flown with two strings, which explains why it came with two. (I thought the other was a spare). Anyway, it was fun.
Friday all four of us, plus the dog, went wild asparagus hunting. Although fun, it was not fruitful (can I say that about vegetables?) Andrea did find a few, but definitely not enough for us and Nico, Ginevra’s friend who joined us later on. After a few games of what Nerina likes to call soccer (really it’s just her kicking the ball down a hill and laughing as I chase after it), we watched Coraline. I remember seeing this in theatres and being a little, to be honest, scared of the film, but Nerina likes it. She’s braver than me. After a particularly dark scene, I asked her if she was alright, and she said in a rather offended tone, “I know it’s not real.”
Andrea left us that night, so Nerina and I were together alone for the most of Saturday because Nico and Ginevra were tending to the garden. The two of us went on a long walk through the woods with Pola and, to our surprise, the cat. From a hill overlooking the Tiber, Nerina spotted some white horses and I suggested we walk to them, but we didn’t make it that far—we were distracted by an absurdly vocal herd of sheep.
That evening we all piled into Ginevra’s car, picked up a few other friends in their neighboring country homes and drove to Todi. There was an antiquarian exhibition Ginevra and her friends wanted to see before dinner. Unfortunately for them, it was closed when we arrived (Ne and I weren’t too disappointed). We joined yet more of Ginvra’s friends at a nice little restaurant packed with Italian families. I should have asked Ginevra, but I think, since they had probably been preparing for Easter all weekend, they did not want to cook anymore.
It rained on Easter day, but everyone was still in good spirits. For the most part, Ginevra prepared the meal for over 30 people (I helped). There were artichokes, rice and veil, roasted chicken, potatoes and peas, mozzarella, and (my favorite) a famous Napolese cake. After dinner, the adults hid large, colorfully wrapped chocolate eggs in the backyard. When they finished the children were let loose and they returned at intervals to leave their treasures with their parents. In addition to the egg hunt, there was a raffle for four enormous eggs and a 20 euro bill. Nerina won three of the five prizes!
Buona Pasqua a tutti.
Tomorrow is Ginevra’s anxiously awaited conference for her magazine. I have been asked to attend and take photos. I get a complimentary magazine and tote bag. Jackpot.
I’m not sure what is happening this weekend, but next week I will be in Austria. So long, farewell…


















1 comment:

  1. You will have to tell your little friend about your sheep tending in Jackson, WY at InnKaHootS.
    Love the pictures, see you in 3 weeks,
    Hugs/Love Grams

    ReplyDelete