Monday, November 16, 2009

Mia Famiglia

This is an article I wrote for Blending, the monthly newsletter for the Florence University of the Arts. This time I was assigned the "Student Voice" column. I thought you guys might like to read it.

MIA FAMILGLIA

Three months now I have been living with a Florentine family of five: a father, a mother, two sons, and a dog. For 14 years they have hosted international students, meaning they have considered over 40 young men and women to be their surrogate kindred.

Though my Italian speaking abilities are developing frustratingly slow, I am still learning so much from my host family. Interestingly enough, the older the family member, the less he or she speaks English (excluding the dog), with the father knowing the least and the youngest son the most. This has proved ideal for me, as I am either obliged to practice my Italian or I can communicate my thoughts freely in English and am then taught to translate them into Italian.

While my host family’s vernacular diversity has helped me learn Italian, their personal differences have also helped me learn more about the Italian culture. For example, from my mother I have learned various culinary techniques and about shopping in the markets; from my father, Italian politics and flattery; from my oldest brother, Italian literature and film; and from my younger brother, contemporary Italian music and the pastimes of Italian youths. I can honestly say that all I have learned from the dog is that Italian cani are spoiled rotten.

Sadly, for me, the semester will soon be over and my family will welcome new students into their home. I once asked the youngest of my host brothers how he felt about all of these strangers moving in and out of his home. He told me he has never been bothered by it; he considers each student to be the little brother or sister he never had.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa...What happens at the end of this semester? Will you live with another host family? Will you become a street urchin begging for spare change and scraps of food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steve! No, I get moved to un apartamento. E` triste. It is sad.

    ReplyDelete