Sunday, November 29, 2009

Much to Report










I got the job! And it really couldn't be better. I babysit/tutor a seven year old girl named Nerina. She's the cutest thing. I really like when she gets angry, because she pouts in Italian. Adorabile! But this doesn't happen very often; she's pretty well behaved. She's also very smart, so helping her with her English is no problem.
Ginevra, my boss, owns a publishing company. Centro Di publishes specialized art books for museums. This year, among other things, they are creating a magazine for Florentine art exhibits. It's really nice. Ginevra also owns a house in Paris, in the Umbrian countryside, and an Italian beach house. So the catch was, if I want the job, I will have to accompany her to these places. Tough life, huh? I might be obligated to go to Paris. Also, I will HAVE to go to their beach house this summer and get paid full time. I hate my life. ; )
So aside from occupational bliss, I am proud to report that I ran the Firenze Marathon yesterday. I was very much under trained, but it was actually not that bad. I kept the same pace throughout the whole race (I got my splits via e-mail already). I ran the first hour and a half without stopping, because I didn't want to be a baby, but this was stupid. I was getting really tired. I had been running next to the same man for a while, so I started chatting with him. We hit it off as running partners, and I ran the rest of the race with him. His plan was to walk a min every kilometer. For me, this couldn't have been better. I had enough energy to sprint the last 1/2 kilometer. We were joined by two men from Spain and another guy from Venice. We were quite the team. I wish I had pictures. I will try to get some from the marathon company when they post them online.
It was a perfect day and I got to see the whole city. I don't know if I will ever run another marathon, mostly because of how I feel today, but now I know I can do it. There is one in Rome this spring though...I am taking a personal day from school because I am physically unable to make the 45 minute walk to class. It will be my first day to miss and we are allowed one personal day, so don't judge!

3 comments:

  1. All kinds of congratulations are in order Melissa! First on the job, and what a dream job it appears to be. Do you need any assistants? 8-)
    A second, great big congratulations on completing your first marathon! That is an amazing accomplishment. In running marathons, my goal was always to cross the finish line under my own power and with a smile on my face...regardless of how long it took.
    You rock!

    Steve "camp dad"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camp Dad, you're a sweetheart. I'll get back to you on the assistant position, k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa,
    I just found your blog now (Google) and I like it a lot!Congrats for the Marathon. :)
    We took some pics there, if you want to see them, go to our flickr here: http://ow.ly/H5rS
    Congrats also for the new job!
    Ciao ciao
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete