Sunday, September 13, 2009

Museo di San Marco


Since I had no idea what was in Museo di San Marco, I brought Rick Steves along with me. He maps out the floor plan and describes what is in each room; it helped immensely. I was a little hestitant to take it out (I looked uber touristy), but I took a look around and every other person had a guidebook. Apparently I'm not the only one who does not know, and who would like to know, what is going on! I exchanged an embarrassed smile with an older man who also had a Rick Steves' book. We quickly parted ways.


I'm going to have to go back to San Marco, because it closed an hour after I had arrived. I only got to see the first floor. The second floor (according to Rick) is supposed to be the most interesting. The second floor is where Savonarola, former leader of Florence, lived and it is also where he was arrested. I don't feel too sorry for him though, he sounds like a jerk.

The first floor was worth the walk though. The Hospice, where the Beato Angelico works are kept, was my favorite. The Giudizio Universale (The Last Judgment) was pretty morbid. The left side of the paining is Heaven, and the right is Hell. In in the center demons are pushing new inmates further and further to the right of the paining where people are being tortured and eaten. Satan (a big blue minotaur thing) is eating three people at once. Blood is everywhere. Meanwhile, the lucky people in Heaven are dancing and jeering at the sinners on the right.


I didn't take many pictures, because it was not allowed. I found out the hard way. I did, however, post a picture of the Hell half of the aforementioned Anglico.


School again tomorrow. I think we might go to the synagogue in my World Religions class.

\

No comments:

Post a Comment