Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"The time has Come," the Walrus said




These are pictures from Food, Culture, and Society when we made seafood spaghetti. We learned hands-on how to gut and clean squid and muscles. The poor little guys were still alive when we stared simmering them...
"I weep for you," the Walrus said:"I deeply sympathize."
With sobs and tears he sorted out
Those of the largest size,
Holding his pocket-handkerchief
Before his streaming eyes.

"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
Sad, but tasty! I'm saving all of the recipes, so if anyone would like copies just let me know.
I started training for the marathon yesterday. Even if I fail miserably, running around for hours will certainly acquaint me with the city layout. I'm trying to think positively.
Today I booked a flight from Pisa to Memmingen, Germany for fall break. Jan and Maxamillian said I could stay with them in Kempten, Germany for that weekend. So, I'm thinking I'll stay there for 3-4 days, and then book a cheap flight somewhere else for the remainder of the break, and fly back to Florence before school starts back up again. Barcelona sounds good.
The rest of the week I am going to get ahead on my schoolwork so when I go to Venice with Katy next weekend I won't have to worry.


2 comments:

  1. Melissa, you are making me so hungery for the
    great Italian food!! Please save the recipes
    for us, Uncle Bret is a great Italian cook.
    Sounds like you have a full fall.
    Would love to see a picture of your host family.
    Miss you a bunch, hugs and kisses
    love ya Grams

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool Melissa! You are having the time of your life. Sounds like your host family is awesome. That makes things just that much better - They invite you into their culture - so neat. I can't think of better word! Poem sounds familiar - Is that from Alice in Wonderland?
    Ti amo ragazza graziosa, momma k

    ReplyDelete