Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ieri Sera

Last night my host brother Nicola took me to a barbecue. There were over 30 people, all Italian, at this apartment/garden, and everyone brought food and wine. I thought I would be out of place, but everyone was amiable and patient with my attempts to speak Italian. I even talked about politics with my host brother's best friend! However, one guy approached me, speaking Italian a mile a min. and I just stared at him. Apparently he had asked me a question, and thought I was being rude for not answering. When he found out that I am American, he came over and apologized in broken English. It was pretty funny.
The food was great, but the company was even better. It was nice to meet Italians my age who are more impressed that I am trying to learn Italian than with the fact that I'm American.

1 comment: